This page describes how to update your XOWA application using the in-app updater.
This Special page shows all pending updates.
Everytime this page is opened, it checks the XOWA site for updates: http://xowa.org/admin/app_update/xoa_update.db
- If updates are found, it downloads the descriptions, stores them offline, and shows it on the page
- If no updates are found, it shows any offline descriptions
If install is chosen, the following is done:
The appropriate package is chosen from from http://github.com/gnosygnu/xowa/releases/.
- Note that XOWA will automatically choose the matching operating system package. (If you're running XOWA on GNU/Linux 64-bit it will automatically download a xowa_app_linux_64 package)
Note that the latest version will always be chosen for two reasons:
- The latest version is always the recommended version
- Downgrading from a later version to an earlier version is not recommended. Downgrading will generally work, but it's not something that is ever tested.
- The package is downloaded and unzipped to C:\xowa\user\install\update
For each file in the install package:
- The corresponding old file will be deleted
- The new file will be moved into the old file's place
- Any old file that can't be deleted will be saved to a list
- XOWA will then shutdown and launch a standalone update app. It will copy any old files that couldn't be deleted in the previous step
- Once the standalone update app completes, it will launch XOWA
This only applies to the auto-startup reminder (see the next section).
- By pressing the "Skip this update" button, the Special:XowaAppUpdate page will tempoarily stop reminding you automatically at startup.
- However, once a new XOWA version is available, the Special:XowaAppUpdate page will resume launching automatically at startup.
XOWA will check for updates every time the application starts. It does this in a two-step process:
First, it checks online to see if any new updates have been released.
- By default, the time interval is set to 7 days. If XOWA has checked online for an update, it won't check again for another 7 days.
- If you want to disable online check or change the interval, you can do so at the Options page
Next, it will check offline to see any existing updates have not been applied.
- A list of offline updates are at C:\xowa\user\install\update
If any updates are available, it will open the Special:XowaUpdate page
XOWA can always be updated manually:
- You can download the latest version from XOWA's download page
- You can view all available versions at XOWA's Github page
For more information on manual updates, see the manual update help page