From XOWA: the free, open-source, offline wiki application
The XOWA Window is meant to be a minimalistic representation of a web browser.
- This button is located in the top left hand corner of the screen. It is denoted by a green arrow pointing left.
- It has the same functionality as a web browser's back button. It navigates you back to a page you left.
- To move back, click the back button or press Alt+Left.
- This button is located in the top left hand corner of the screen. It is denoted by a green arrow pointing right.
- It has the same functionality as a web browser's forward button. It navigates you to a page you left with the back button.
- To move forward, click the forward button or press Alt+Right.
- The address bar is located at the top of the screen.
It can be used to navigate to other pages in the wiki.
- For example, type "Help/Contents" into the bar and press Enter. It will take you to the main Help page.
- You can also use it to navigate to other wikis. If you type simple.wikipedia.org into the address bar, it will take you to the "Main Page" for Simple Wikipedia
- Note that you can also press the Go button instead of Enter to select the address.
- There are other formats that can be entered into the address bar. For more information, see App/UI/Address_bar/Shortcuts
- To select the address bar, press Alt+D.
- The address bar also has auto-completion. Try typing in "a", "b" in the address bar
- The go button is located right of the address bar. It is denoted by the downward pointing green arrow.
- It can be pressed to activate the address in the address bar. Note that you can also press Enter in the address bar.
The search box allows you to find all pages in a wiki starting with the term. This is the same as the Special:AllPages search feature
- For example, typing in "Earth" will find all pages in the wiki that start with the word "Earth".
- Note that you can also press the magnifying glass button instead of Enter to activate the search.
- The search button is located right of the search box. It is denoted by the magnifying glass icon.
- It can be pressed to navigate to activate the search in the search bar.
- The browser box takes up most of the screen.
- Its main purpose is to render all content, such as the text you're reading now.
- The find box is located in the bottom left hand corner of the screen.
- It can be used to search for text on the page. If you type a word in the box, it will automatically find and highlight it in the browser box.
The find box defaults to a hidden state. To activate it, do one of the following:
- Press Ctrl+F
- Choose the following from the Main Menu: Edit -> Find
- Right click in the browser box. Select Find from the popup menu.
To use it, do the following:
- Type the word "box" in the find box. It will highlight the "box" in Browser box.
- Press Enter. It will now highlight the next "box" word
- For more information, see App/UI/Find_box.
- The progress box is located at the bottom of the screen.
- It displays transient messages from the application.
To view the info box, do one of the following
- Press Ctrl+Alt+P
- Choose the following from the Main Menu: View -> Show Progress Messages
- Middle-click the progress box
- The info box is located in the bottom-right hand corner of the screen.
- It displays warnings from the application. It is disabled by default, but can be enabled through Options: Dev - General
- To select the info box, press Ctrl+Alt+N.
- To clear messages, press Ctrl+Alt+C.
The "Address bar", "Find box", "Progress box", and "Note box" are standard text boxes. As such, the following behavior will work:
- Right clicking in the box will bring up the standard context menu of Cut, Copy, Paste, Undo, Select All
The standard keyboard shortcuts will work
- Ctrl+X: Cut
- Ctrl+C: Copy
- Ctrl+V: Paste
- Ctrl+A: Select All
- Ctrl+Z: Undo
- Ctrl+Shift+Z: Redo
- The "Browser box" has a right-click context menu. It also responds to the same keyboard shortcuts listed above.