This page allows you to delete unused images in your image databases.
Expand to reveal more notes)
Wikipedia is constantly changing. Every moment, articles and images are added and deleted.
XOWA updates images on a monthly basis. However, these updates only add new images. They do not delete old unused images.
XOWA will soon move to a smarter update platform that will process adds and deletes automatically. In the meantime, you will need to process deletes manually.
Delete images using a database
This is a two-step process (Press
Expand to reveal more notes):
(1) Choose a file deletion database:
- These files are available at archive.org. The latest deletion database is https://archive.org/download/Xowa_enwiki_latest/en.wikipedia.org-file-deletion-2017.02.xowa
- They are only available for English Wikipedia. Other wikis are available on request.
They have a format like the following:
(2) Press Delete.
Note that this may take a few hours to run
- For English Wikipedia, it will delete 400,000 images from your databases and compress your databases by 8 GB.
- You can continue to use the wiki during this time.
- If you shutdown XOWA, you can return and resume.
- When the deletion completes, XOWA will remove the deletion database